Monday, July 18, 2016

November 2011 sample journal entries

November 23, 2011


I can’t believe it’s already Thanksgiving! I do love this holiday, and I love fall, so I’m excited to go back home where the leaves are changing and it’s cold. I’m nervous about bringing Jack home to meet everyone, though! He’s going to be so overwhelmed, but I keep telling him that they’re all going to love him. Which I know they will. I guess I’m most worried about my sister, since she just got divorced. I’m worried she’ll feel lonely the whole weekend and won’t want to hang out with us because she’ll be the only one without a significant other. It almost makes me not want to bring Jack, so I can hang out with my sister the whole time and help her get through this.  But then again, that’s not fair to Jack or myself. I want my sister to be happy, but I have to do what’s right for me as well. I’m sure it’ll all work out. I just don’t want her to be depressed the whole time. Man, this has always been my favorite holiday, but this year I can’t wait for it to be over.


November 24, 2011


Well, today was the big day! Oh, I’m exhausted. I think mostly from worrying so much. Managed to calm my nerves by writing a poem on the plane:


Today is the day for thanks, food, and fun,
But what do I do if I’m nervous a ton?
I just want it to be the greatest of days,
But Sarah will be there forever in my gaze.
Will she be happy? Will she be sad?
Will Jack feel welcome and not feel so bad?
Today will be fine, today will be grand,
So stop all your worry and let this plane land!


It’s silly, but it helped keep me busy for a bit. Anyway, it went a lot better than I thought!! Thank goodness! The moment I knocked on Mom and Dad’s with Jack’s hand in mine was the most nervous I’d been in a while! And I don’t know why I was so nervous. I knew they’d love him, and I knew he’d love them, but it still scared me. I haven’t brought someone home to meet the family in a long long time...


Sarah ran downstairs to greet us right away, and she was beaming, so right away I let out a sigh of relief! Jack made a great first impression. Everyone loved the wine that we brought, and right away Mom and Sar-bear leaned in and said (not so quietly), “Jules, he’s adorable!” Jack winked at me.


Dinner was amazing. As usual, Mom outdid herself, but the best part was that Dad and Uncle Steve took Jack under their wings and did some bonding over football. It was just what I was hoping for!


The night went really well. I could see my sister getting sad a couple of times, but she composed herself very quickly and was right back in party mode. I’ll talk more privately with her tomorrow when we go shopping, but I’m just so glad that she seems okay with everything. And more importantly, I’m glad Jack hasn’t wanted to run away yet. ;)


 November 28, 2011


I haven’t had time to write the last couple of days because we’ve been so busy! Friday, we went shopping, and even though it was super hectic, it’s tradition, and it was fun! I talked more with Sarah, who was feeling a little more sad—or at least showing it more than Thursday. She just knows that the holidays are going to be a hard time for her this year, but that’s completely understandable. She was even saying that she might come out to visit Jack and me in LA for a week or two, just to get away! I think that’ll be fun. I really do miss her and don’t get to see her nearly as often as we used to just because we’re so busy. The rest of the weekend went well. Only a couple of awkward moments, like when it slipped that Jack and I were living together. I wasn’t going to say anything until after Christmas (one thing at a time, I said!). It wasn’t a huge deal—they knew we were serious—but I just didn’t want to deal with any comments yet. It is a little soon, I guess, but it’s right for us and we’re so happy together. Anyway, it didn’t seem to be so bad since they like Jack so much and think we work really well together. My mom pulled me aside last night and said, “Do you think he’s ‘The One’?” I blushed about a million shades of pink and said, “Mom!”  which basically means, “yes” without me saying it. She gave me a hug and a kiss.


It was really hard to leave them. I miss home a lot, especially around the holidays. But LA is where my life is right now. I cried on the plane, and Jack comforted me and said that, now that he knows my family likes him and that he likes them, we can go back anytime I want! That made me smile. I feel so lucky to have him in my life and to have such an amazing family. What a perfect holiday to help remind me of this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment